Guidelines for Car Drivers
- Always carry your driving license & Blue Book with you while driving.
- Don't Drink while Driving.
- Don't Drive under the influence of drugs.
- Obey all traffic signals, lights and signs.
- Use the indicator or hand signals when changing lanes.
- Adhere to permitted speed limits.
- Don't use your cell phone while driving. If you must, move to the left, halt and then make the call.
- Irrespective of right of way, stay alert and be considerate to pedestrians especially senior citizens, handicapped, ladies and children.
- Do not overload your vehicles - be it luggage or passengers.
- Do not use tinted glasses, lenses or visors or anything that restricts vision at night or in poor visibility conditions.
- Do not drink and drive as it adversely affects your judgment and abilities.
- Wear seat belts.
- Always drive using the correct gear.
- Avoid sudden braking and harsh acceleration.
- Never use the clutch as footrest while driving.
- Do not overload your vehicle or trailer. Never tow greater weight than recommended by the manufacturer of your vehicle.
- Please ensure that all children under 14 years of age wear seat belts or sit in an approved child restraint.
- Driving in fatigue enhances the probability of an accident. To minimize this risk you must follow these rules:
- Make sure you are fit to drive. Do not undertake a long journey (longer than an hour) if you feel tired.
- Avoid undertaking long journeys between midnight and early morning hours, when natural alertness is at its worst.
- Plan your journey in breaks. A minimum break of at least 15 minutes after every two hours of driving is recommended.
- If you feel sleepy, stop at a safe place. Do not stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
- The most effective ways to counter sleepiness are to take a short nap (up to 15 minutes) or drink, for example, two cups of strong coffee. Fresh air, exercise or turning up the radio may help for a short time, but are not as effective.
- Children in cars. Drivers who are carrying children in cars should ensure that :